What We Do
The overall role of Sandwell Safeguarding Children Board (Sandwell SCB) is to coordinate local work to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and to ensure the effectiveness of what the member organisations do individually and together.
Specific objectives of Sandwell SCB are to:
- Develop and agree inter-agency policies and procedures for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, consistent with Working Together to Safeguard Children, including:
- The action to be taken where there are concerns about a child’s safety or welfare, including thresholds for intervention;
- Training of those working with children or in services affecting the safety and welfare of children;
- Recruitment and supervision of persons who work with children;
- Investigation of allegations concerning persons working with children;
- The safety and welfare of Privately Fostered children;
- Cooperation with neighbouring Children’s Social Care Authorities and their Board partners.
- Participate in the planning of services for children in the local authority area;
- Communicate the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of the child;
- Develop procedures to ensure a coordinated response to unexpected child deaths;
- Monitor the effectiveness of what is done to safeguard and promote the welfare of children;
- Undertake reviews of serious cases and ensure lessons are understood and acted upon;
- Collect and analyse information about child deaths.